Effective Team Leadership
Camden Consulting Group’s one-day Effective Team Leadership program highlights the research of Katzenbach and Smith as presented in their books, The Wisdom of Teams and The Discipline of Teams, related to the distinction between work groups and teams. It provides team leaders with the knowledge and skills they need to lead team members toward making strong contributions to team performance while adjusting their own leadership behaviors as the team matures.
During the Effective Team Leadership program, participants complete a team effectiveness survey to help them identify the variables that might be impacting the performance of their teams. Through mini-assessments, this program introduces team leaders to the classic stages of team development and provides an opportunity to identify the current stage of the team(s) they are leading. Given the critical nature of the "Forming Stage" of team development, and the predisposition of most teams to rush through it, Camden engages participants in activities that enable them to practice leading a range of "forming" activities that are directly transferable to the job. The critical team leader skill of providing both positive and re-directive feedback, and coaching others to do this, is introduced and practiced in critical incident scenarios.
Participants leave this program able to:
• Distinguish between teams and work groups
• Identify the characteristics of high-performing teams
• Identify the changing role of the leader as teams mature
• Use key indicators to determine a team’s stage of development
• Lead a team through key “forming” activities using tools to clarify team purpose, determine team talent requirements, assess team membership, and develop team operating principles
• Use feedback to acknowledge and reinforce desirable team member behavior/performance and to re-direct off-track behavior/performance
• Coach team members to provide positive and re-directive feedback
• Create a plan to accelerate the development of a team they lead